Friday, January 30, 2009

a poorly developed argument about why I don't care about you

I have this troublesome steaming pile of energy inside me that is just not being useful. I can't reign it in to get anything done. I can focus it enough to make it productive. I'm just waiting to explode. Even my creative outlets are failing me. Troublesome, indeed.

The other day I was hanging First Friday fliers around SVSU and ended up visiting an old prof's creative writing class. They were discussing what legitimate literature (art) is and how to determine what is and isn't and whatnot, and the talk turned to folks who write super personal pieces, what to do with that? Not that all art isn't personal in a sense, but some certainly verges on Dear Diary territory, stuff about break-ups and feeling oh so alone. The prof asked me, "You write professional pieces, but you also write personal ones, like the White's Bar poem [referring to a poem I wrote in class called "I Fucking Hate White's Bar" which I won't share, because it's not that good, but was basically about hating that place because it reminded me of too many horrible love/hate relationships. It almost got me laughed out of the room, and a classmate compared it to a Bob Seger song.] Can you do that?" My response, barely missing a beat, was, "You can do it, but no one has to care."

And why SHOULD anyone care? I have a hard time backing memoirs and even a lot of creative non-fiction because I feel like I'm overwhelmed with life stories every day via social networking, reality television, cell phones, etc. I can follow the careers, relationships, and everyday details of my friends, famous people, fictional characters, and total strangers via blog, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, Livejournal, and on and on. It's beyond a crave for attention, it's not enough for people to notice, people need to be interested. Self-involvement and self-reflection and self-absorbtion has so permeated every aspect of culture, that I just don't think it's interesting.

That's not to say I'm not 100% guilty of everything I've just ranted against. I have profiles on Myspace and Facebook with way more "friends" than I would ever go out of my way to talk to in real life. I text people for reason other than my own boredom, despite whatever may be going on in their own lives. I have a blog (obviously) which is the highest form of imposing your self-involvement onto other people. I mean, it's essentially your brain and your day for everyone to see. It's like tacking your journal pages onto street lamp posts (to varying degrees, of course. The degrees of which people share themselves online is a whole other rant). But if I take it back to the literature argument, I think it gives me an even stronger case against people who write poems and stories about shit in their lives and expect it to be received as art.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You post this as I am finalzing apiece largely as "poorly developed" (your words) and just as narcissisticly self-involved, introspective, and journal-esque as that which you've berated. Don't read it.

Ps. On your livejournal post, what's with all those damned periods within words? Too lazy to delete them from an e-mail forward?

PPS. Did I mention I've RSSed your feeds so that I see the posts MINUTES after they're up? nya nya! (I have no life and am procrastinating as well)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who loves to try original things. Right now I'm constructing my own photovoltaic panels. I'm doing it all alone without the help of my men. I am using the internet as the only way to acheive this. I came across a very brilliant site that explains how to make photovoltaic panels and so on. The web site explains all the steps involved in building pv panels.

I'm not sure bout how correct the data given there iz. If some experts over here who had experience with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it will be awesome and I would really appreciate it, cauze I truly like [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. You guys rock.