Thursday, February 12, 2009

been thinking a lot today

Again, I go unfocused. I should be writing and looking for financial aid and applying to 10 more jobs since the last 10 got me nowhere and vaccuming up doggie hair. Blogging/ranting will get me back on track. Shall we?


First, a few words on this whole Rihanna/Chris Brown thing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you must not have television or internet or human contact. And you know what I think? I think you SHOULD be hearing about it everywhere. I think it's an important story to tell, if it's handled right. We're overloaded with information, especially about celebrities, but this is a time it might do some good. If the public is going to get outraged and plaster Michael Phelps all over the place as an attempt to prove what a horrible role model he is for hittin' the bong for a minute, put Chris Brown's face on billboards.

I'm not saying the kid needs to be crucified. Plenty of stories have come out about the abuse in his past and who really knows what kind of life he's led up to this point, but there is no excuse for abuse. Like it or not, these people are role models, especially to kids, so this whole situation should be a cautionary tale for young men to face the demons of their past (and present), man-up and get some help and for young women to be wary of the signs of abuse and get out before things escalate. Remember back in the 80s when there was that all-star cartoon special about saying no to drugs? They did that because they realized kids would listen to Winnie The Pooh before they would listen to Nancy Reagan. I'd like to see out of this some attention brought to the problem by someone hip explaining what happened and what to do if it happens to you. So far, it's typical sensationalism from the media (some other girl was texting Brown! Rihanna gave him herpes!) and machismo from other celebs (Jay-Z wants to hunt Brown down! T.I. supports Brown!). But, we'll see how it plays out.

P.S. If you've got a few minutes to spend on the subject, check out Kevin Powell's essay on his own experience, especially if you are a dude.



Secondly, Lily Allen's new album, "It's Not Me, It's You" came out and I'm digging. Surprised?



And lastly, I realized yet again that I not only have terrible gaydar, I have terrible this-boy-likes-me-dar. I mean, terrible, sitcom-worthy. It's not that I desperately and instantly cling to any boy who speaks to me, it's just that I seem to have a problem misunderstanding the difference between a boy thinking I'm cool and a boy wanting to date me. Like, I think I'm getting on with a boy and we have, like oh my god, so much in common, and then he asks my twin sister to the dance. Not literally, of course, I don't have a twin sister, but I do experience similar hilarity. It's not all bad. I am always good for a laugh when friends are feeling down and identifying with Liz Lemon has its own sick amusement, but I can't help feel a bit of fear that I am slowly turning into a delusional cat lady who thinks the mail carrier is into her because he comes over to the house every day, even in rain and sleet.

Ok, thanks for listening. Back to productivity :)

5 comments:

bowtienick said...

I thought about..the Army

Anonymous said...

seriously, though. I went out with some co-workers, one of whom is dating an army man. He was complaining about the surge in recruits due to the recession. lolz. Like the article I gave you.

Promise, I'll post some relevant comment once I care what happened under her Umbrella. Until then, I am still clueless. I guess I have no friends.

Or don't care that Nicole or Jennifer turned 40 today. One of them did. Still don't care. Obama talked about Gregg pulling out on the CNN today. TWSS

Christi said...

If you don't care, the comment won't be relevant, anyway.

bowtienick said...

By not caring, I mean I really wasn't aware of the situation. Like I alluded to (in response to how I could possibly not know about it); I have no friends or media contact lately.

So, without further ado:

a) they a re way younger than I thought. Glad I now have an excuse to explain why their music is irrelevant to me.
b) what they do in public (or private even) is not irrelevant. Seriously. WTF? I still do not understand this kind of man. I could blame it on immaturity but I'm sure there are other factors. I should consider myself blessed to have grown up white, middle class with both parents at home, together and happy. And with my father as an excellent positive role model.
Though my previous description might seem to imply that white men do not commit acts of domestic violence, this is not the case nor is it what I believe. Just clarifying.
c)The PSA idea is great, but who on earth do we have as positive, popular role models? True that once was the parental units, but lately, parents can't be trusted for shit and even they look to the media to teach their kids.
d)Related to (c); once you're famous, that role model should be EZC!
e)Liz got a cute BF, so take comfort. My parents weren't married until they were 26 and that's sometimes early by today's standards! A coworker of mine (not Robbie who did it at 23) is getting married for the first time at 30-something. Take comfort! Then again, do you even want to get married? I don't necessarily see that as a goal of yours. And there is nothing wrong with that. My sisters always talk about taking their kids to their rich uncle's house. I doubt the rich part, but I'll try to dress and act the part. And funny, they alwasy picture me as a bachelor. Maybe since I haven't had a girlfriend since my junior year of high school. An 18year old co-worker recently expressed great shock when I mentioned said girlfriend. "You had a GIRLFRIEND!?!" was probably verbatim.
Don't know if she assumed I am gay or just a woman-hater, but there that is...
what letter?)I just wrote an essay. Cheers.

Christi said...

Good question about the role model. It pains me to even suggest a celebrity spit some wisdom to the kids, but do they listen to anyone else?

And you'd be surprised what goes on in some white middle class families. The male role model is key. I think the effects of not having a dad (or dad-like figure) around transcends race and class. I don't have any sociological evidence to back that up.

The cat-lady scenario was suggested very much tongue-in-cheek.